This fine late eighteenth-century tavern clock with a circular white dial is beautifully decorated and signed under the dial on the trunk in a gilt cartouche George Allett LONDON, c. 1780.
The red-japanned case of traditional style has a shaped trunk with a moulded gilt bottom. The door is finely decorated showing a pavilion and oriental figures in a garden with a tree and birds flying through the air. The trunk sides are embellished by scrolling vines with leaves. The round white painted dial has a chapter ring with Roman hour numerals, a minute circle and outside Arabic five-minute marks. The black painted brass hands have heart shaped tips. The A-shaped eight-day movement has four knopped pillars, a four wheel train, anchor escapement with a long steel rod pendulum and brass bob. It is driven by a lead weight.