A Pair of Bronze Vases
Depicting the ‘Sacrifice to Venus’
Designed by Clodion
Cast by Barbedienne
Constructed from cast and hand-chased gilded bronze and supported on Griotte Rouge marble bases, the twin-handled vases in the Neoclassical taste depicting a relief of six figures performing a sacrifice to Venus, surmounted by lids with berried finials.
French, circa 1870
The vase was initially carved from marble by the famous sculptor Claude Michel, known as Clodion, in 1766, while he was working in Rome. The terracotta prototype is on view at the Detroit Institute of Arts and the finished marble was once in the famous Blumenthal collection before being acquired by the Art Institute of Chicago.