Captain John Cummings is shown in the light blue-grey uniform of the 8th King’s Royal Irish Light Dragoons worn in India, where the regiment was serving at the time. Cummings had previously served in the 1st King’s Dragoon Guards, from which he transferred from in June 1805 to the 8th Light Dragoons
Signed on the obverse with cursive E and inscribed on the reverse Capt John/ Cummings 1806/ 8th Dragoons/ by Engleheart. set in a gilt-mounted rectangular papier-mache frame
Cummings sat to Engleheart, 8 November 1805 and paid his fee of 15 guineas, 13 December. He was Captain, 16 May, 1805; Major 1810 and left in 1811.
The 8th Light Dragoons, the short name for the 8th King’s Royal Irish Hussars, served in India for about 20 years from 1803. In May, 1806 the Dover Castle, an Indiaman, sailed for Bengal. It arrived in January 1807 with Captain Cummings aboard.
John Webley in his privately printed “G. Engleheart pinxit 1805” book records how Captain Cummings and Captain Barry, formerly of the 11th Dragoons, had a duel in March 1806 in the Marquis of Abercorn’s Park. It was noted that “after exchanging two shots each, the second succeeded in bringing about a reconciliation. – Mutual apologies took place, and the affair terminated to the honour of both parties, who acted with the greatest coolness, steadiness and determination throughout.” It is not certain what was the reason for the exchange