Charles Hunsinger (1823-1893) was first recorded as a cabinetmaker specialising in ‘meuble de luxe et de fantaisie’ in the Paris Almanac of 1859. Later he worked from 244 Rue Fabourg –Sainte-Antoine, settling in the Rue Des Pyramides in 1874, by which time he had acquired a partner, Charles-Adolphe-Frederic Wagner. The company participated in the Paris Exhibitions of 1865, 1867, 1878 and 1879. In the Brussels Exhibition of 1881 he was awarded the Gold Medal for excellence of craftsmanship. His work is shown in the Musee D’Orsay, and the Vienna Art Museum. He is recorded in Denise Ledoux-Lebard’s monumental ‘Le Mobilier Francais du X1Xe Siecle, published by Les Editions de L’Amateur, 1984, revised and expanded 1989, which shows pieces of comparable form and type as ours.