Maison Marnyhac was the trade name for ‘La Société des Marbres et Bronzes Artistiques de Paris’, established in the mid-nineteenth century under the auspices of Charles de Marnyhac at avenue de l’Opéra then later at 1 Rue de la Paix, one of the most fashionable arrondissements of Paris. Specialising in objets de luxe, the company exhibited at the Paris expositions universelles of 1878 & 1889, winning both general acclaim and awards. The love and admiration the West had for Chinese art occasioned the great French orientalist designer Edouard Lièvre to work in conjunction with Marnyhac, interpreting Chinese art, and producing many wonderful objects d’art. Our attribution to Maison Marnyhac is based on comparable articles de luxe incorporating their stamp, in the Chinese and Japanese-inspired style they are best known for today.
L’Art et L’Industrie de tous les peuples a L’Exposition Universelle de 1878, Paris: Librairie Illustrée, 1879, p. 244-5, 256-7 & 259. Showing pieces exhibited by Marnyhac.
Christopher Payne. François Linke, 1855-1946: The Belle Epoque of French Furniture. Woodbridge: Antique Collectors’ Club, 2003, p. 502. Showing a Linke-produced pair of candelabra first designed by Marnyhac and exhibited Paris 1878.
Christopher Payne. Paris Furniture: The Luxury Market of the 19th Century, Château de Saint-Rémy: Éditions Monelle Hayot, 2018, p. 461.