An Unusual Pair Of Gilt-Bronze Mounted Lithyalin Green Glass Vases, Attributed to La Compagnie des Cristalleries de Saint Louis.
French, Circa 1890.
Developed by the Bohemian chemist Friedrich Egermann (1777-1864) in 1828, Lithyalin glass is an opaque or translucent marbled glass with a surface resembling polished hardstones. Egermann patented this complex process which involved the introduction of dyes into molten glass in 1829. Following the expiration of the patent, similar pieces were made in France, Bohemia, and Russia.