This is a beautiful antique William IV flame mahogany circular extending dining table attributed to Gillows and dating from Circa 1835.
In the manner of Gillows, the circular reeded top has five outer leaves that can be added or removed as required to suit the occasion. The table is raised on a substantial central baluster column on a tripod base with large paw feet and recessed castors that give this table it’s superb stability.
The table can comfortably seat eight when extended and six when the top is retracted.
There is no mistaking the fine craftsmanship of this handsome table, which is certain to become a treasured addition to your furniture collection, and a talking point with guests at meal times.
The attribution to Gillows is based on a table sold Christies, London, The Glory of Gillows & Fine English Furniture, 16 September 2004, lot 63 which can also be seen illustrated in S.Stuart, Gillows of Lancaster and London 1730-1840, Vol I, p.338 (pl.392). The table in brown oak and impressed GILLOWS was made about 1850 and has an identical base to the table offered here.
C. Fredericks, 1972
C. Fredericks and Son, one of the oldest antique dealers in London, sold a wide selection of fine quality 18th and early 19th Century English antique furniture, covering the Queen Anne, Georgian, Regency and William IV periods
In excellent condition having been beautifully cleaned, polished and waxed in our workshops, please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 72 x Width 183 x Depth 183 – Fully Extended
Height 72 x Width 135 x Depth 135 – With leaves removed
Dimensions in inches:
Height 2 foot, 4 inches x Width 6 foot x Depth 6 foot – Fully Extended
Height 2 foot, 4 inches x Width 4 foot, 5 inches x Depth 4 foot, 5 inches – With leaves removed
Gillow & Co.
was originally founded in Lancaster in 1730. Gillow’s of Lancaster was a household name in Victorian Britain, and the firm exported furniture throughout the Empire. Key to the company’s success was the dynamic father and son team at its core.
The London branch was opened in 1775. Among Gillow’s most successful pieces during this period were those made in the Neoclassical style from original drawings by Robert Adam. In the period 1813-1820 the Gillow family gradually withdrew from personal involvement with the business.
In 1897 Gillow & Co. merged with a Liverpool firm and they henceforth traded as Waring & Gillow.
Our reference: A2162