This is a elegant antique Art Deco sterling silver casket with hallmarks for London, 1921 and the makers marks of the renowned silversmiths Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co. Ltd.
The shaped casket features reeded borders and engine turned decoration. The lift up lid is engraved on the underside J. B. C. from R. H. W May 27th 1923 and opens to reveal a fitted cedar wood interior with an adjustable divider.
The quality and craftsmanship throughout are truly second to none.
In excellent condition with clear hallmarks and no dings, dents or signs of repair. Please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 6 x Width 20 x Depth 12
Dimensions in inches:
Height 2 inches x Width 8 inches x Depth 5 inches
The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Company. The firm was established in 1880 by William Gibson and John Lawrence Langman.
The firm was active at 112 Regent Street, London acquiring the premises previously used by John Joseph Mechi.
In 1893 the firm absorbed The Goldsmiths’ Alliance Ltd and in 1898 became the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd being active as jewellers, dealers in diamonds and precious stones, silversmiths,electroplaters and watch and clock makers.
In 1952 Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd was amalgamated with Garrard & Co Ltd.
The firm participated to a number of national and international exhibitions, as Indian and Colonial Exhibition (London, 1886), Paris (1889), Chicago (1893), California (1894), Paris (1900) and Franco-British Exhibition (London, 1908).
The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co was active with manufactories at Newcastle Place, Clerkenwell; Regent Works, Sheffield and Rue St George, Paris and as retailer of items supplied by various British gold and silver manufacturers (Martin Hall & Co Ltd, W&G Sissons, Wakely & Wheeler, William Comyns, Harrison Brothers & Howson, etc.)
Our reference: A2694