This is a wonderful antique brass and Jasperware mounted desk set, by James Howell, Regent Street, London, Circa 1860 in date.
The suite compromises comprising a stationary casket, an ink blotter, a balance scales and a circular inkwell, each applied with rope twist mounts and engraved anthemions, set with blue jasperware roundels.
This is a highly decorative set which will make a statement once placed on any period desk.
In excellent condition having been beautifully cleaned and polished in our workshops, please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 15 x Width 19 x Depth 11 – Stationary Box
Height 20 x Width 20 x Depth 20 – Inkstand
Height 24 x Width 19 x Depth 2 – for writing
Height 9 x Width 15 x Depth 11 – weigth
Dimensions in inches:
Height 6 inches x Width 7 inches x Depth 4 inches – Stationary Box
Height 8 inches x Width 8 inches x Depth 8 inches – Inkstand
Height 9 inches x Width 7 inches x Depth 1 inch – for writing
Height 3 inches x Width 6 inches x Depth 4 inches – weigth
Jasperware or jasper ware, is a type of stoneware first developed by Josiah Wedgwood, although some authorities have described it as a type of porcelain. It is noted for its matte finish and is produced in a number of different colours, of which the best known is a pale blue that has become known as ‘Wedgwood Blue’. “Jasper” in this context refers to the mineral of that name.
Wedgwood’s main designs are jasperware and black basalt. Many of the Wedgwood designs were based on the art of making cameo glass and on the looks of The Portland Vase.
Howell James & Company – were a firm of jewellers and silversmiths, based in Regent Street in London, which operated between 1819 and 1911.
The firm Howell and James was founded in 1819 by James Howell and Isaac James who were originally silk mercers and retail jewellers. The company had premises at 5, 7 and 9 Regent Street and was noted for the variety and quality of its stock. In 1838 James left the business and the partnership then became known as Howell James & Co. By 1865 the firm employed over 140 women, most of whom lived above the shop.
The firm exhibited in London, at the Great Exhibition in 1851 and at the 1862 International Exhibition, and in Paris and the International Exposition of 1867. It sold items by students and designers of the South Kensington School.
At the London exhibitions of 1871 and 1872 the company exhibited jewellery by C.L. Eastlake, M. D. Wyatt, F. Leighton and L. F. Day. The company’s 1878 Paris Exhibition stand was designed by Day. In 1889, company employee J. Llewellyn moved to Liberty & Co taking with him exclusive selling rights.
In 1881 the premises were reconstructed and these incorporated art pottery galleries. An exhibition was staged, of architectural faience, produced to the designs of M. B. Adams by of Burmantofts.
In 1884 the company became a limited company and their name changed to Howell & James Ltd.
Our reference: 07645
Please feel free to email or call us to arrange a viewing in our North London warehouse.
We ship worldwide and deliver to Mainland UK addresses free of charge.
A shipping cost to all other destinations must be requested prior to purchase.
Delivery and return policy:
We require that someone be home on the agreed delivery day if applicable, otherwise a redelivery fee will apply.
In accordance with Distance Selling Regulations, we offer a 14-day money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with the item.
The item must be returned in its original packaging and condition.
Unless the item is not as described in a material way, the buyer is responsible for return shipping expenses.
Buyers are fully responsible for any customs duties or local taxes that may be incurred on items sent outside of the European Union.