This is a stunning and rare antique twelve place setting sterling silver canteen of cutlery in Kings Pattern, with hallmarks for the maker, William Hutton & Sons, London, dated 1905.
This beautiful set consists of 90 pieces in the highly desirable King’s pattern.
It is beautifully housed in an English made oak canteen case with brass fittings complete with the original key and features a fitted lid with two two lift out compartments below, all with custom fittings in blue felt. The case bears the retailers ivorine label for John Nowill & Sons, Sheffield.
This is the complete set, it is highly unusual to find such a nice sterling silver Kings pattern set with not even a single piece missing!
12 Table knives
12 Table forks
12 Starter / Cheese Knives
12 Starter / Dessert Forks
12 Soup spoons
12 Dessert spoons
12 Tea spoons
6 Serving Spoons
In really excellent condition as rarely used, please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 12 x Width 36 x Depth 28 – Oak Canteen
Dimensions in inches:
Height 5 inches x Width 1 foot, 2 inches x Depth 11 inches – Oak Canteen
William Hutton & Sons – the firm was established in Birmingham by William Hutton in 1800 and transferred in Sheffield in 1832 where the firm was active as manufacturing silversmiths and platers at 27 High Street (140-146 West Street from 1886).
After his death the business was continued under the same style by the founder’s son William Carr Hutton until 1864, when the name was changed to William Hutton & Son. This was a partnership of William Carr Hutton and his youngest son Herbert Hutton (senior, born 1843).William Carr Hutton died in 1865 and c. 1870 Herbert Hutton Sr. was joined by his brothers James Edward Hutton (b. 1839) and Robert (b. 1840) and the name was changed to William Hutton & Sons.
A London showroom was opened in 1863 (13 Thavies Inn Holborn until 1891, and later 7 Farrington Road until 1918).In 1893 the firm acquired Rupert Favell & Co (manufacturer silversmith at Bucknall Street, Oxford Street, London) and in the same year became William Hutton & Sons Ltd.The firm acquired Creswick & Co in 1902, beginning to use their crossed arrows marks.The last Hutton family MD was Herbert Hutton Jr. before the company failed in 1930. That was due to lack of foresight by the Chairman of the Board of directors (information courtesy Michael Hutton). The firm was absorbed by James Dixon & Sons in 1930.
Our reference: A2563