This is an elegant Edwardian antique revolving bookcase made by the renowned retailer and manufacturer Edward & Roberts for Spetchley Park House circa 1900 in date.
It is made of chestnut coloured mahogany with banding in satinwood and strung with boxwood and ebony, the square top is inlaid with beautifully detailed foliate marquetry decoration.
It features useful revolving compartments for books with the shelves and supporting slats being held by elegant brass studs.
It bears the ivorine label of the renowned retailer Edwards & Roberts, Wardour Street and Oxford Street, London.
The quality and attention to detail throughout is second to none.
Provenance: Spetchley Park
In excellent condition having been beautifully cleaned, polished and waxed in our workshops, please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 84 x Width 50 x Depth 50
Dimensions in inches:
Height 33.1 x Width 19.7 x Depth 19.7
Spetchley was bought by Rowland Berkeley.
He was a wool merchant and banker, in 1605. Prior to this it had been owned by the Sheldon and Lyttleton families.
His son, Robert, was a High Court Judge in the reign of Charles 1 and a monarchist, who was lucky not to lose his head through his sympathies to Charles, however he did lose his house which was burnt down by Scottish Presbyterians on the eve of the Battle of Worcester in 1651.
He converted the stables where the family lived until John Tasker built the current, beautiful mansion house in 1811. Robert was also responsible for enlarging the estate which today amounts to 4,500 acres.
The parkland, containing red and fallow deer, was imparked in 1625 and the lake was formed in 1834 from the old moat which surrounded Rowland’s original Tudor house.
Successive members of the family lovingly created the landscape and the Gardens, the latter most notably by Ellen Willmott, sister to Rose Berkeley, in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. In 1925 Spetchley became one of the first gardens in the country to open its gates to visitors under the National Garden Scheme.
The house, landscape and Gardens are now very much a legacy of one family’s commitment to ensuring nature, beauty and longevity thrive at Spetchley
Edwards & Roberts
The firm Edwards & Roberts was one of the best English antique furniture cabinet makers of the second half of the eighteenth century. The company was founded in 1845 and by 1854 was trading as ‘Edwards & Roberts’, 21 Wardour Street, Antique and Modern Cabinet Makers and Importers of Ancient Furniture’. By 1892 they occupied more than a dozen buildings in Wardour Street, where they continued to trade until the end of the century.
They became one of the leading London cabinet makers and retailers producing high quality furniture and working in a variety of styles, both modern and revivalist. Their business also involved retailing, adapting and restoring the finest antique furniture and there are many examples of their earlier furniture with later embellishments bearing their stamp. The quality of timber used was always the best quality with fine burr walnuts, finely figured mahogany and lighter toned satinwood as they specialised in marquetry, inlay and ormolu.
Our reference: A1068