This is a lovely antique Victorian silver plated gallery tray with beautiful engraved decoration bearing the makers mark G & S for the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Company, London and C1880 in date.
This rectangular silver plated tray features elegant Neo-Classical hand engraving with foliate, floral decoration surrounding a central monogramed cartouche. It has a decorative pierced fretwork gallery with ribbon and swag embossed decoration.
The central engraved dedication states:
Frederick G Kerin
The Members Of The Ennis Club
On The Occassion Of His Marriage
April 25th 1893
The quality and craftsmanship throughout the piece are truly second to none.
In excellent condition with clear makers marks and no dings, dents or signs of repair. Please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 7 x Width 61 x Depth 42
Dimensions in inches:
Height 2.8 x Width 24.0 x Depth 16.5
The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Company. The firm was established in 1880 by William Gibson and John Lawrence Langman.
The firm was active at 112 Regent Street, London acquiring the premises previously used by John Joseph Mechi.
In 1893 the firm absorbed The Goldsmiths’ Alliance Ltd and in 1898 became the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd being active as jewellers, dealers in diamonds and precious stones, silversmiths,electroplaters and watch and clock makers.
In 1952 Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd was amalgamated with Garrard & Co Ltd.
The firm participated to a number of national and international exhibitions, as Indian and Colonial Exhibition (London, 1886), Paris (1889), Chicago (1893), California (1894), Paris (1900) and Franco-British Exhibition (London, 1908).
The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co was active with manufactories at Newcastle Place, Clerkenwell; Regent Works, Sheffield and Rue St George, Paris and as retailer of items supplied by various British gold and silver manufacturers (Martin Hall & Co Ltd, W&G Sissons, Wakely & Wheeler, William Comyns, Harrison Brothers & Howson, etc.)
Our reference: A1530