An Edwardian mahogany Liqueur and Cigar ‘patent automatic’ Table Cabinet, No. 12483, by J.C. Vickery London, with crystal bottles and stoppers and sterling silver labels, a mirrored back, with brass engraved plaque mounted “Sir Hugh & Lady Mc Calmont – to Mrs. Hugh Shore, 27.IV.1915”.
This is a superb antique Edwardian mahogany Liqueur and Cigar “patent automatic” table cabinet, Circa 1910 in date.
It was skillfully crafted in mahogany with three cut crystal glass decanters with stoppers, three silver labels for Brandy, Whisky and Port, and a brass engraved plaque mounted under the lid which states:
” Sir Hugh & Lady McCalmont- Mrs. Hugh Shore, 27.IV.1915″.
It bears a bone plaque inscribed with the Royal Crown and:
To His Majesty the King
& Her Majesty the Queen
179.181.183 Regent St. W
It also bears a brass plaque engraved:
Patent Automatic Cabinet
It is fitted with a high quality Bramah lock and when the key is pressed in and turned the cabinet doors open wide revealing a pair of cut glass glasses on either side, three hobnail cut glass stoppered decanters in the centre, above a spring released compartment with playing cards and games rules. This compartment can be lifted out to reveal a cedar lined compartment for cigars and cigarettes.
It is a decorative piece which is also very practical, and would make a lovely gift.
It is complete with the original working lock and key, which locks everything.
In excellent condition having been beautifully cleaned and waxed in our workshops, with only minor signs of use commensurate with age,please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 37.5 x Width 37 x Depth 28.5
Dimensions in inches:
Height 14.8 x Width 14.6 x Depth 11.2
James Collard Vickery
and his then partner, Arthur Thomas Hobbs, bought up the long established business of William Griggs, a stationer and bookseller at 183, Regent Street in c.1890. When they took over they expanded the stock to include jewellery, dressing cases, gold and silver lines.
Continuing alone after 1891, Vickery extended his premises in 1900 to 179, 181 and 183 Regent Street, with showrooms to the rear at 1 New Burlington Place, he is listed as a Goldsmith, silversmith, jeweller, dressing case and fitted travelling bag manufacturer, watch and clock importer,and more.
JC Vickery obtained the following royal warrants:
HM the King HM the Queen HM Queen Alexandra TRH the Prince and Princess of Wales HM the King of Portugal HM the King of Spain TM the King and Queen of Denmark HM the Queen of Norway HM the King of Sweden Prince and Princess Christian of Schleswig Holstein
is London’s oldest security company. Established at 124 Piccadilly, London in 1784, and today based in Marylebone, London and Romford, Essex.
Bramah made their first lock in 1784 and the patent was awarded in 1787. The designer was Joseph Bramah. Joseph Bramah was a leading inventor of the industrial revolution, patenting over 18 new ideas, including a new valve for the water closet (toilet), the hydraulic pump, a fountain pen, and a fire engine.
Bramah also introduced a beer hand pump for use at the bar, to prevent fluid loss when barmen went downstairs to pour a new jug! Due to the quality of his manufacturing, his name became a by-word amongst British Engineers for engineering excellence and many of his inventions are on display in the Science Museum in London. You can find one of his original toilets still working in Osborne House, Queen Victoria’s home on the Isle of Wight.
The Bramah lock was unique and advanced property and valuables protection enormously. Indeed it was 50 years ahead of any Chubb lock and 70 years ahead of Yale. Original Bramah locks are most often found on the highest quality homes and furniture.
Our reference: 09487