This is an exquisite high-quality and rare antique English silver plated on copper entree dish with lid and stand, bearing Victorian Diamond Registration Marks for 21st January 1859.
This stunning shaped oval entree dish features splendid floral and foliate decoration and a detachable lid with elegant engine turned decoration.
The lid lists off to reveal two serving dishes that sit in a stand that has a reservoir for hot water to keep the food warm.
It stands on four distinguished scroll and foliage cast feet, is of the highest quality and ready to grace your dining table.
A truly exquisite entree dish that would make a fine addition to any antique collection.
In excellent condition. As antique items, the piece shows minor signs of use commensurate with age, these minor condition issues are mentioned for accuracy and, as seen in the accompanying photographs, the dish displays beautifully.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 19 x Width 37 x Depth 24
Dimensions in inches:
Height 7 inches x Width 1 foot, 3 inches x Depth 9 inches
Martin, Hall & Co –
the origin of the firm was in the partnership established in 1820 in Sheffield by Henry Wilkinson and John Roberts who traded as Wilkinson & Roberts. Wilkinson left the business and in 1846 John Roberts entered in partnership with Ebenezer Hall (his apprentice in 1836) under the style Roberts & Hall.
In 1854 Richard Martin (of Martin Brothers & Naylor) and Joshua Hall (brother of Ebenezer Hall) entered into the partnership under the style Martin, Hall & Co. In 1866 the firm was converted into a Ltd.
The factory was active at Shrewsbury Works, Broad Street Park, Sheffield with showrooms in London (where they were listed as manufacturing silversmiths and electroplated manufacturers, silver, plated and steel cutlers), Sydney, Birmingham and Glasgow.
The firm partecipated to the 1851 Great Exhibition, the Internation Exhibition (1862), the Sydney Exhibition (1879), the Melboune Exhibition (1881) and the 1915 British Industries Fair.
Besides its sterling silver and electroplated items the firm had a successful cheaper line of production on a patented white metal called “Martinoid”.
Items made by Martin, Hall & Co were retailed by Wordley & Co – Liverpool, Ball & Edwards – Birmingham, Henry Ellis & Son – Exeter, Charles Nephew & Co – Calcutta, West & Son – Dublin, Goldsmiths Alliance Ltd – Cornhill, Pearce & Co – Leeds, Mappin Brothers – London, George Edward & Sons – Glasgow, James Aitchinson – Edinburgh, Mackay & Chisholm – Edinburgh and many other firms.
After WWI and a brief association of interests with Gladwin Ltd the firm went in liquidation and was struck off the register in 1936 (according to another source the business was sold to Frank Cobb & Co in 1931/1932).
Our reference: A2190