This is an exceptionally fine antique English George IV sterling silver fruit basket by the world-famous silversmith Paul Storr, 1823 in date.
This magnificent basket is rectangular in shape and features a remarkable gadrooned rim which is further embellished with Rococo shells flanked by acanthus foliage decoration.
The bowl of the main body is decorated with striking fluted bands and the central plain panel is engraved with a fabulous coat of arms and Latin motto ‘Esse Quam Videri’ meaning “To be, rather than to seem”.
The delightful swing handle is decorated on the sides with foliate motifs and displays sublime floral decoration in the centre.
It stands on an attractive and sturdy rectangular foot with matching gadrooned design.
It bears the full hallmarks – Lion passant for sterling silver, Leopard head for London, letter ‘h’ for 1823 and the maker’s mark ‘P.S’ for Paul Storr.
Not only is this a very useful item, but it is also an extremely beautiful decorative piece in its own right – only to be expected from the incredible mastery of Paul Storr.
There is no mistaking its unique quality and design, which is sure to make it a treasured piece by any silver collector.
In excellent condition with clear hallmarks and no dings, dents or signs of repair. Please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 12 x Width 33 x Depth 27 & Weight 43 troy oz
Dimensions in inches:
Height 4.7 x Width 13.0 x Depth 10.6 & Weight 1.34 kg
born in London England in 1771, was to become one of the most talented silversmiths of the nineteenth century. Today his legacy of exceptionally well crafted silver, found worldwide in museums and private collections, leaves one in awe when compared to that of his contemporaries.After having served a seven year apprenticeship from the age of 14, he began his career in 1792 when he went into a brief partnership with William Frisbee. This did not last and in 1793 a new mark, (his initials ‘P S’) was entered. By the beginning of the nineteenth century he had established himself as one of London’s top silversmiths producing, amongst others, commissions for Royalty.
In 1801 he married Elizabeth Susanna Beyer with whom he was to have ten children. In 1807 Paul Storr entered into a working relationship with Philip Rundell and by 1811 was a partner, and managing the workshops for Rundell, Bridge & Rundell.
During this period he kept his own marks and separate workshop. However it was through Rundell, Bridge & Rundell who were appointed Goldsmith in Ordinary to George III in 1804 that his reputation as a master silversmith grew. His talents lay in being able to transform ideas and designs from Rundell, Bridge & Rundell’s designers, William Theed II, the chief modeller and head of the design department, and later John Flaxman II who succeeded him in 1817. During this period Rundell, Bridge & Rundell’s reputation grew due to the patronage of the Prince Regent (later George IV).
Our reference: A1073