This is an exquisite antique large English George III sterling silver condiment cruet set with hallmarks for London 1800 and the makers mark of the renowned silversmith Paul Storr.
This rare complete set is in superb condition and features eight exquisite cut glass bottles for oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, mustard, etc.. The oil and vinegar bottles have delightful silver handles and mounts, and the silver mount on each bottle has a full set of hallmarks.
The silver frame bears a coat of arms which I have not had time to research.
In excellent condition with clear hallmarks and no dings, dents or signs of repair.
Please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 30 x Width 40 x Depth 20
Weight 38 troy oz – Silver frame
Dimensions in inches:
Height 11.8 x Width 15.7 x Depth 7.9
Weight 1.18 kg – Silver frame
Paul Storr – born in London England in 1771, was to become one of the most talented silversmiths of the nineteenth century. Today his legacy of exceptionally well crafted silver, found worldwide in museums and private collections, leaves one in awe when compared to that of his contemporaries.After having served a seven year apprenticeship from the age of 14, he began his career in 1792 when he went into a brief partnership with William Frisbee. This did not last and in 1793 a new mark, (his initials ‘P S’) was entered. By the beginning of the nineteenth century he had established himself as one of London’s top silversmiths producing, amongst others, commissions for Royalty.
In 1801 he married Elizabeth Susanna Beyer with whom he was to have ten children. In 1807 Paul Storr entered into a working relationship with Philip Rundell and by 1811 was a partner, and managing the workshops for Rundell, Bridge & Rundell.
During this period he kept his own marks and separate workshop. However it was through Rundell, Bridge & Rundell who were appointed Goldsmith in Ordinary to George III in 1804 that his reputation as a master silversmith grew. His talents lay in being able to transform ideas and designs from Rundell, Bridge & Rundell’s designers, William Theed II, the chief modeller and head of the design department, and later John Flaxman II who succeeded him in 1817. During this period Rundell, Bridge & Rundell’s reputation grew due to the patronage of the Prince Regent (later George IV).
Our reference: 09101