This is a wonderful antique silver plated Victorian salver bearing the makers mark of William Hutton & Sons, and dating from Circa 1860.
It has beautiful engraved floral and foliate decoration in the Neo-classical style and is raised on elegant scrolled feet.
This salver is of fabulous quality and will add an Imperial look to your surroundings.
In excellent condition with no dings, dents or signs of repair. Please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 4 x Width 32 x Depth 32
Dimensions in inches:
Height 2 inches x Width 1 foot, 1 inch x Depth 1 foot, 1 inch
William Hutton & Sons – the firm was established in Birmingham by William Hutton in 1800 and transferred in Sheffield in 1832 where the firm was active as manufacturing silversmiths and platers at 27 High Street (140-146 West Street from 1886).
After his death the business was continued under the same style by the founder’s son William Carr Hutton until 1864, when the name was changed to William Hutton & Son. This was a partnership of William Carr Hutton and his youngest son Herbert Hutton (senior, born 1843).William Carr Hutton died in 1865 and c. 1870 Herbert Hutton Sr. was joined by his brothers James Edward Hutton (b. 1839) and Robert (b. 1840) and the name was changed to William Hutton & Sons.
A London showroom was opened in 1863 (13 Thavies Inn Holborn until 1891, and later 7 Farrington Road until 1918).In 1893 the firm acquired Rupert Favell & Co (manufacturer silversmith at Bucknall Street, Oxford Street, London) and in the same year became William Hutton & Sons Ltd.The firm acquired Creswick & Co in 1902, beginning to use their crossed arrows marks.The last Hutton family MD was Herbert Hutton Jr. before the company failed in 1930. That was due to lack of foresight by the Chairman of the Board of directors (information courtesy Michael Hutton). The firm was absorbed by James Dixon & Sons in 1930.
Our reference: A2869