This is a wonderful antique silver plated Victorian salver bearing the makers mark of the renowned silversmith of Sheffield England, James Dixon, the inventory number 4523 and late 19th Century in date.
It has beautiful embossed and engraved floral and foliate decoration in the Neo-classical style and is raised on elegant ball and claw feet.
This salver is of fabulous quality and will add an Imperial look to your surroundings.
In excellent condition with clear makers marks and no dings, dents or signs of repair. Please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 3 x Width 26 x Depth 26
Dimensions in inches:
Height 1 inch x Width 10 inches x Depth 10 inches
J Dixon & Sons – founded 1806 in Sheffield, was one of the major British manufacturers in the Industrial Revolution of the 19th century.
They were the best-known manufacturer of Britannia metal, and also the world leader in manufacturing shooting accessories till the late Victorian era. They produced a variety of other items: from precision tools to aircraft propellors. They were particularly famous whistle makers, known for their outstanding quality. They were one of the 4 great whistle makers, the others being W Dowler & Sons, J Stevens & Son & T Yates.
Their shop was located first at Silver Street (1806), Cornish Place (1822) Sheffield .
Their registered trade mark since 1879 was a Trumpet with a Banner hanging from it. Although registered in 1879, the “Trumpet with Banner” logo was used for many years before registration and appears on many of their silver plate pieces. Besides whistles, they were one of the foremost names in silver plate and sterling tableware including silver tea services and hollowware pieces. They also made silver ware serving pieces and had a wide catalogue of patterns. Their tea sets and hollowware pieces are very valuable as antiques.
In 1915 the company sold its stock to an Italian Company and ceased manufacturing shooting accessories.
The firm continued to be a family run enterprise until 1976. Since 1976 The company was purchased and was in an American ownership.
Our reference: X0034