A large and important piece of early English Britannia standard* silver. A Georgian silver meat plate, or serving platter, of shaped oval form with a broad applied gadroon border and decorative motifs. Made by John Chartier, an important Hugeunot silversmith; his French influence is seen in the fleur de lys motifs around the border. Superb colour. Hand engraved to two sides with an armorial. Hand hammered finish on the back of the applied borders.
Weight 2753 grams, 88.4 troy ounces.
Length 52.5 cms. Width 37.5 cms.
Maker John Chartier.
*Britannia Standard silver. In 1696, so extensive had become the melting and clipping of coinage that the silversmiths were forbidden to use the sterling standard for their wares, but had to use a new higher standard, 95.8 per cent. New hallmarks were ordered, “the figure of a woman commonly called Britannia” and the lion’s head erased (torn off at the neck) replacing the lion passant and the leopard’s head crowned. This continued until the old standard of 92.5 per cent was restored in 1720. Britannia standard silver still continues to be produced even today.
John (Jean) Chartier was the son of a Huguenot refugee from Blois. This important silversmith was naturalised in 1697, made a freeman of the Goldsmiths Company in 1698, and entered 2 marks as a largeworker between 1698 and 1699. His son Daniel was apprenticed to him in 1720 and his daughter married Peze Pilleau.