This is a beautiful antique George III style parcel gilt wall mirror, circa 1860 in date.
The mirror has a beautiful rectangular shape decorated with a beaded egg and dart frame. The decorative cornice has ball and anthemion mounts, the top pendant features a carved eagle, with a giltwood ball chain and tassels held in its beak, flanked by a pair of acanthus carved finials.
It is a beautiful mirror which will look good wherever placed.
In really excellent condition having been beautifully cleaned and polished in our workshops.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 143 x Depth 5
Dimensions in inches:
Height 56.3 x Depth 2.0
Mirrors are commonly used for personal grooming or admiring oneself (in which case the archaic term looking-glass is sometimes still used), decoration, and architecture.
The earliest manufactured mirrors were pieces of polished stone such as obsidian, a naturally occurring volcanic glass. In classical antiquity, mirrors were made of solid metal (bronze, later silver) and were too expensive for widespread use by common people; they were also prone to corrosion. Due to the low reflectivity of polished metal, these mirrors also gave a darker image than modern ones, making them unsuitable for indoor use with the artificial lighting of the time.
The method of making mirrors out of plate glass was invented by 16th-century Venetian glassmakers on the island of Murano, who covered the back of the glass with mercury, obtaining near-perfect and undistorted reflection. For over one hundred years, Venetian mirrors installed in richly decorated frames served as luxury decorations for palaces throughout Europe, but the secret of the mercury process eventually arrived in London and Paris during the 17th century, due to industrial espionage. French workshops succeeded in large scale industrialization of the process, eventually making mirrors affordable to the masses.
Our reference: 08723