This is a wonderful antique English Victorian silver-plated twin handled tray, bearing the makers mark TB&S for the renowned silversmiths Barker Bros as well as the Victorian lozenge registration mark which dates it at 1880.
This splendid large tray features beautifully engraved floral and foliate decoration. The border and twin handles are embellished with further foliate decoration.
The underside of each handle bear the British diamond registry date and material marks for the year 1880. The underside of the tray also bears the figural maker’s mark.
It is splendid and luxurious and will look fabulous on your sideboard with decanters and glasses.
The quality and craftsmanship throughout the piece are truly second to none.
In excellent condition with clear makers marks and no dings, dents or signs of repair. Please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 6 x Width 77 x Depth 47
Dimensions in inches:
Height 2.4 x Width 30.3 x Depth 18.5
Business established in Birmingham in 1801. The firm still possesses the original Boulton & Watt dies acquired during its early days of manufacturing. The business appears in an 1871 directory as Barker Brothers, silversmiths active in Paradise Street.
In 1903 they moved to new factory premises, Unity Works, Constitution Hill, Birmingham, where it remained until the 1980s maintaining a London showroom during the early part of the 20th century.
In 1907 the firm was converted into a limited liability company under the style Barker Brothers Silversmiths Ltd.
Levi & Salaman Ltd and its subsidiary Potosi Silver Co were incorporated by Barker Brothers in 1921.
In the 1960s, merging with Ellis & Co (Birmingham) Ltd, the firm changed to Barker Ellis Silver Co Ltd.
On January 2, 1979, the firm obtained a Federal registration in the USA for the trademarks Ellis & Co, Barker Ellis and Ellis Barker (the marks were cancelled in 1988).
The company went into administration in 1992.
The firm used the trade marks BRITANOID, UNITY PLATE and THE HYGENIA
Our reference: A1391