This is a monumental and rare antique English Victorian sterling silver mounted rectangular easel dressing table mirror with hallmarks for Chester 1901 and the maker’s mark of John & William Deakin, the renowned silversmiths that specialised in mirrors.
The pierced and embossed silver latticework features scroll and floral repoussé decoration, lobed corners and a vacant scroll bordered cartouche set on red velvet. It has a bevelled mirror plate and leather covered easel back
The silver is in excellent condition and has the original bevelled mirror glass that lends character to this wonderful piece.
This mirror is sure to make an outstanding and useful contribution to your collection.
In excellent condition with clear hallmarks and no dings, dents or signs of repair. Please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 65 x Width 46 x Depth 30
Dimensions in inches:
Height 25.6 x Width 18.1 x Depth 11.8
The firm was founded in Sheffield by James Deakin in 1866.
The first mark was entered by the firm in Sheffield Assay Office on 31 January 1878. It was a “JD” over “WD” and, possibly, represented the partnership of James Deakin and his son William Pitchford Deakin. The firm was active at Sidney Works, Matilda Street, Sheffield.
In 1886 two further sons entered in the partnership, John Deakin and Albert Deakin, and the firm was then known as James Deakin & Sons.
Further marks were entered in London Assay Office 1888 by William and John Deakin subsidiary offices and showrooms at 48 Holborn Viaduct, London, Chester and Birmingham. Further offices and showrooms were opened at Gardiner House, 14 Charterhouse Street, London, 34 St. Enoch Square, Glasgow and 7 Queen Street, Belfast.
After the retirement of James Deakin 1893 the business was continued by his sons William, John and Albert.
In 1897 the firm was converted into a limited liability company under the style James Deakin & Sons Ltd.
The firm was the proprietor of Shaw and Fisher, Electro-plate Manufacturers (established 1835) and of Walter Latham & Son, Sterling Silver & Electro-plate manufacturers (established 1874).
To avoid any confusion with the production of another Sheffield manufacturer having the same initials JD&S (James Dixon & Sons) the firm used in its silverplate production a figural trade mark representing a ‘desk bell’ (often interpreted as a ‘lamp’). Likewise, Dixon used a figural trade mark (registered in 1879) representing a ‘bugle’.
Trademarks used: AZTEC, PURITAN, REVLIS, SARBON, SHAW & FISHER, SIDNEY SILVER. The firm closed its activity circa 1940.
Our reference: 09324