This is a magnificent antique English Victorian shaped oval silver-plated twin handled tray by the renowned Silversmith James Dixson, circa 1880 in date.
This splendid tray features beautifully engraved and embossed foliate and floral decoration with an elegant central cartouche. The border and twin handles are embellished with pierced relief floral decoration.
This magnificent tray is one of the finest examples of it’s type you could hope to acquire.
In excellent condition with clear makers marks and no dings, dents or signs of repair. Please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 5 x Width 65 x Depth 48
Dimensions in inches:
Height 2 inches x Width 2 foot, 2 inches x Depth 1 foot, 7 inches
J Dixon & Sons – founded 1806 in Sheffield, was one of the major British manufacturers in the Industrial Revolution of the 19th century.
They were the best-known manufacturer of Britannia metal, and also the world leader in manufacturing shooting accessories till the late Victorian era. They produced a variety of other items: from precision tools to aircraft propellors. They were particularly famous whistle makers, known for their outstanding quality. They were one of the 4 great whistle makers, the others being W Dowler & Sons, J Stevens & Son & T Yates.
Their shop was located first at Silver Street (1806), Cornish Place (1822) Sheffield .
Their registered trade mark since 1879 was a Trumpet with a Banner hanging from it. Although registered in 1879, the “Trumpet with Banner” logo was used for many years before registration and appears on many of their silver plate pieces. Besides whistles, they were one of the foremost names in silver plate and sterling tableware including silver tea services and hollowware pieces. They also made silver ware serving pieces and had a wide catalogue of patterns. Their tea sets and hollowware pieces are very valuable as antiques.
In 1915 the company sold its stock to an Italian Company and ceased manufacturing shooting accessories.
The firm continued to be a family run enterprise until 1976. Since 1976 The company was purchased and was in an American ownership.
Our reference: X0081