This is a truly superb pair of Derby twin handled square based slender ovoid cabinet vases, Circa 1790 in date and bearing the Derby painted mark with crown and D on the undersides.
With gilt leaf moulded swan neck handles and delicate scrolled gilt leaf decoration on a white ground enclosing beautifully hand painted landscape panels with figures and ruins in tree lined mountainous settings.
Instill the refined elegance of a bygone era to a special place in your home with these fabulous vases.
In excellent condition with no chips, cracks or signs of repair, please see photos for confirmation of condition.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 21 x Width 12 x Depth 9
Dimensions in inches:
Height 8.3 x Width 4.7 x Depth 3.5
The production of Derby porcelain dates from the first half of the 18th century, although the authorship and the exact start of the production remains today as a matter of conjecture. The oldest remaining pieces in the late 19th century bore only the words «Darby» and «Darbishire» and the years 1751-2-3 as proof of place and year of manufacture. More important is the fact that the production of porcelain in Derby predates the commencement of the works of William Duesbury, started in 1756 when he joined Andrew Planche and John Heath to create the Nottingham Road factory, which later became the Royal Crown Derby.
Our reference: A1405