This is a truly superb pair of hand painted Royal Crown Derby porcelain trumpet shaped spill vases, with date code for 1919.
Beautifully hand painted in the Imari pattern with beaded girdles, exquisite gilded decoration and bearing the red painted 6299 Royal Crown Derby mark.
Instill the refined elegance of a bygone era to a special place in your home with these fabulous vases.
In excellent condition with no chips, cracks or repairs, please see photos for confirmation of condition.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 15 x Width 10 x Depth 10
Dimensions in inches:
Height 5.9 x Width 3.9 x Depth 3.9
A spill vase is a small cylindrical vase or wall-hanging vase resembling a bud vase. The earliest literary references to splints, spills and tapers date back to the 15th century, as do the vases that held them. From 1700-1870 spill holders were made of wood, iron, porcelain, pottery, brass and even wall paper. There are also some examples made in glass, although these are mostly limited to the 1840s-50s.
A spill vase was usually kept on the mantel piece and was filled with rolled paper tapers or very thin wood sticks, called spill. Spill was used to transfer fire from the fireplace to candles, lamps, a pipe or a cigar. Commercial matches, which first surfaced in England during the 1820s were a relatively expensive commodity until the late 19th century, and spill was therefore a more cost effective solution.
Some examples of spill vases have a rectangular holder for a matchbox, which allowed the user to light a single splint, or sliver of wood with the match and use the spill to transfer the fire to several candles.
From 1860-65 there was a huge transitional period in the evolution of lighting and accessories. Later, with the spread of electricity, spill vases gradually became redundant, as people relied less on fire for lighting.
The Royal Crown Derby Porcelain Company
is the oldest remaining English porcelain manufacturer, based in Derby. The company, particularly known for its high-quality bone china, has produced tableware and ornamental items since approximately 1750. It was known as ‘Derby Porcelain’ until 1773, when it became ‘Crown Derby’, the ‘Royal’ being added in 1890. The factory closed down in the past under Royal Doulton ownership, but production was revived under the renewed ownership of Hugh Gibson and Pearson family.
Our reference: 08912