This is a very lovely pair of antique Victorian silver plated grape scissors, bearing the makers mark of Martin Hall & Co., and circa 1910 in date.
They feature beaded decoration to the arms and handles.
Add an elegant touch to your next dining experience.
In excellent condition, please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 6 x Width 18
Dimensions in inches:
Height 2 inches x Width 7 inches
Martin, Hall & Co –
the origin of the firm was in the partnership established in 1820 in Sheffield by Henry Wilkinson and John Roberts who traded as Wilkinson & Roberts. Wilkinson left the business and in 1846 John Roberts entered in partnership with Ebenezer Hall (his apprentice in 1836) under the style Roberts & Hall.
In 1854 Richard Martin (of Martin Brothers & Naylor) and Joshua Hall (brother of Ebenezer Hall) entered into the partnership under the style Martin, Hall & Co. In 1866 the firm was converted into a Ltd.
The factory was active at Shrewsbury Works, Broad Street Park, Sheffield with showrooms in London (where they were listed as manufacturing silversmiths and electroplated manufacturers, silver, plated and steel cutlers), Sydney, Birmingham and Glasgow.
The firm partecipated to the 1851 Great Exhibition, the Internation Exhibition (1862), the Sydney Exhibition (1879), the Melboune Exhibition (1881) and the 1915 British Industries Fair.
Besides its sterling silver and electroplated items the firm had a successful cheaper line of production on a patented white metal called “Martinoid”.
Items made by Martin, Hall & Co were retailed by Wordley & Co – Liverpool, Ball & Edwards – Birmingham, Henry Ellis & Son – Exeter, Charles Nephew & Co – Calcutta, West & Son – Dublin, Goldsmiths Alliance Ltd – Cornhill, Pearce & Co – Leeds, Mappin Brothers – London, George Edward & Sons – Glasgow, James Aitchinson – Edinburgh, Mackay & Chisholm – Edinburgh and many other firms.
After WWI and a brief association of interests with Gladwin Ltd the firm went in liquidation and was struck off the register in 1936 (according to another source the business was sold to Frank Cobb & Co in 1931/1932).
Our reference: X0048