This is an exquisite pair of antique English silver-plated candlesticks in neoclassical Corinthian column style and bearing the makers marks, inside the sconces, of the renowned silveresmith, James Dixon & Sons, Sheffield, circa 1870 in date.
This pair is in absolutely superb condition and features exquisite classical Corinthian fluted columns with lovely acanthus leaves and scroll capitals.
The swept square bases feature beautiful chased floral scroll and leaf festoons with two elegant lines of beaded borders to the rims. The sconces also have very well defined matching beaded decoration on the upper rims.
Each candlestick retains its original and matching makers marks inside the sconce.
The attention to detail is fantastic and they are certain to attract attention wherever they are placed.
In excellent condition, please see photos for confirmation of condition.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 33 x Width 12.5 x Depth 12.5
Dimensions in inches:
Height 13.0 x Width 4.9 x Depth 4.9
J Dixon & Sons (James Dixon & Sons) founded 1806 in Sheffield, was one of the major British manufacturers in the Industrial Revolution of the 19th century.
They were the best-known manufacturer of Britannia metal, and also the world leader in manufacturing shooting accessories till the late Victorian era. They produced a variety of other items: from precision tools to aircraft propellors. They were particularly famous whistle makers, known for their outstanding quality. They were one of the 4 great whistle makers, the others being W Dowler & Sons, J Stevens & Son & T Yates.
Their shop was located first at Silver Street (1806), Cornish Place (1822) Sheffield .
Their registered trade mark since 1879 was a Trumpet with a Banner hanging from it. Although registered in 1879, the “Trumpet with Banner” logo was used for many years before registration and appears on many of their silver plate pieces. Besides whistles, they were one of the foremost names in silver plate and sterling tableware including silver tea services and hollowware pieces. They also made silver ware serving pieces and had a wide catalogue of patterns. Their tea sets and hollowware pieces are very valuable as antiques.
In 1915 the company sold its stock to an Italian Company and ceased manufacturing shooting accessories.
The firm continued to be a family run enterprise until 1976.
Since 1976 The company was purchased and was in an American ownership.
Our reference: 09761