This is a superb quality Russian antique malachite book form jewel box, Circa 1900 in date, later converted to display a quantity of mineral specimens.
The rectangular hinged lid features malachite parquetry with decorative brass stringing. It lifts up to reveal a later fitted glass and brass mounted collection of 28 mineral specimens from mines in the Congo with the name table verso in French, listed as name, specimen and where it was mined from:
1. Uraninite, oxyde d’uranium “Shinkolobwe Mine”
2. Heterogenite, hydroxyde de cobalt et serum “Kabolela Mine”
3. Cuprite, carbonate de cuivre “Kalabi Mine”
4. Talc Calcedoine, silicate de manganese “Musonioe Mine”
5. Katangite, silicate de cuivre “Changulowe Mine”
6. Liebethbnite, photsphate de a wivre, “Musonioe Mine”
7. Bornite, sult de cuivre et de fer “Kipushi Mine”
8. Pseudomalachite, phosphate de cwivre, “Misesa Mine”
9. Olygiste, oxyde de fer, “Katonfo Mine”
10. Pyrite, silt de fer “Shinkolobwe Mine”
11. Cuprosklodowskite, Silicate d’uranio m et de cuivez, “Musonoie Mine”
12. Silice, oxyde oilicieux “Ramoto Mine”
13. Enrerite, Oxyde de fer, “Dikulwe Mine”
14. Shattucrite, silicate de cuivre “Tantara Mine”
15. Calcite, carb de caicium, “Kipushi Mine”
16. Fibromalachite, carb hystarate’ de chivre “Kabolela Mine”
17. Chalcosine, suit de cuivre “Kipushi Mine”
18. Sel Jaune, oxyaena’ uranium “Musonoie Mine”
19. Goethite, nxproxyae de fer, “Pamaove Mine”
20. Jel Rose, oxyae de cobalt, “Mupini Mirone”
21. Quartrite, oarb de calciu, Bamoto Mine”
22. Spherocobaltite, card de cobalt, “Ratrolea Mine”
23. Chalcopyrite, sult se cuivreet de fer, “Kipushi Mine”
24. Kolweeite, silrate de cuivre, “Kolwezi Mine”
25. Pyrolusite, hydroxyie de ma nganese, “Rasekelesa Mine”
26. Malachite Zonaire, carb hydrate de cuivre, “Kolwezi Mine”
27. Carrollite, sult de cobalt et de cuivre “Ramoto”
28. Dolmite Blanche, Carb de magnesium, “Kamoto”
Add this wonderul Russian malachite book box and fascinating display of mineral specimens to your collection.
In really excellent condition, please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 4 x Width 30 x Depth 18
Dimensions in inches:
Height 1.6 x Width 11.8 x Depth 7.1
Malachite is an opaque, green banded mineral. It is believed to be a strong protector of children. It protects the wearer from accidents and protects travellers. Malachite has been used to aid success in business and protect against undesirable business associations. It is a stone of balance in relationships.
Malachite is always green, usually in banded tones varying from very dark green to a mellow green. Most malachite comes from Zaire, Chile and Australia.
Ancient Egyptians, Greeks and Romans used malachite for jewellery and ground it to use as eye shadow. It is used in amulets to protect against the evil eye. In the Middle Ages it was used to protect children from witches and other dangers.
Our reference: 09974