This is a wonderful set of four English antique sterling silver entree dishes and covers with hallmarks for Finley & Taylor, Birmingham and dated 1890 with a weight of 207 ozs.
The shaped oval dishes are applied with gadrooned rims and anthemion beaded handles. They each bear an engraved three lion crest with the arms and the family motto ‘Cleve Fast’ .
Add an elegant touch to your next dining experence with these suberb entree dishes.
In really excellent condition with clear hallmarks on the bases, lids and handles, and no dings, dents or signs of repair- please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 14.5 x Width 30.5 x Depth 22.5
Weight 6.44 kg
Dimensions in inches:
Height 6 inches x Width 1 foot x Depth 9 inches
Weight 207 troy oz
Finley & Taylor
The firm was established in Birmingham c. 1850 by George Cartwright and Joseph Hirons, trading as Cartwright & Hirons. In 1853, when Horace Woodward entered the partnership, the firm changed to Cartwright, Hirons & Woodward. The firm was active as electroplate manufacturers and silversmiths at 138/139 Great Charles Street, Birmingham, with London showrooms at 41 Hatton Garden. In 1859, Joseph Hirons left the partnership and the firm changed its name to Cartwright & Woodward. In 1865, after George Cartwright’s retirement, the business was continued by Horace Woodward under the name Horace Woodward & Co. In 1883, Horace Woodward left the company and the business was continued by Edgar Finley and Hugh Taylor, maintaining the same name until 1893 when the firm was converted into a limited liability company as Horace Woodward & Co Ltd. In the same year, the production was transferred to Atlas Works, Paradise Street, Birmingham and additional premised were opened in 1903 at Vyse Street, Birmingham. In 1919, the firm was acquired by Adie Brothers Ltd. The firm participated with success to London (1851 and 1862), Paris (1867) and Melbourne (1881) Exhibitions.
Our reference: A3232