This is a rare set of eight antique English Regency dining chairs, in the manner of Gillows, comprising six side chairs and a pair of armchairs, circa 1820 in date.
These chairs have been masterfully crafted in beautiful flame mahogany. They have carved reeded and scrolled back rails over foliate scrolled horizontal splats, drop-in seats with elegant Regency stripe fabric upholstery and stand on stylish turned and reeded front legs.
Transform the fine dining experience in your home with this antique set of dining chairs fit for a king.
In excellent condition having been beautifully cleaned, polished and waxed in our workshops, please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 93 x Width 49 x Depth 47 – Sidechairs
Height 93 x Width 54 x Depth 54 – Armchairs
Height 45 – Seat Height
Dimensions in inches:
Height 36.6 x Width 19.3 x Depth 18.5 – Sidechairs
Height 36.6 x Width 21.3 x Depth 21.3 – Armchairs
Height 17.7 – Seat Height
Thomas Sheraton – 18th century furniture designer, once characterized mahogany as “best suited to furniture where strength is demanded as well as a wood that works up easily, has a beautiful figure and polishes so well that it is an ornament to any room in which it may be placed.” Matching his words to his work, Sheraton designed much mahogany furniture. The qualities that impressed Sheraton are particularly evident in a distinctive pattern of wood called “flame mahogany.”
The flame figure in the wood is revealed by slicing through the face of the branch at the point where it joins another element of the tree.
Gillow & Co. –
was originally founded in Lancaster in 1730. Gillow’s of Lancaster was a household name in Victorian Britain, and the firm exported furniture throughout the Empire. Key to the company’s success was the dynamic father and son team at its core.
The London branch was opened in 1775. Among Gillow’s most successful pieces during this period were those made in the Neoclassical style from original drawings by Robert Adam. In the period 1813-1820 the Gillow family gradually withdrew from personal involvement with the business.
In 1897 Gillow & Co. merged with a Liverpool firm and they henceforth traded as Waring & Gillow.
Our reference: 09164