An imposing pair of antique sterling silver candelabra with 5 lights having removable branches, central candle snuffers and bead borders. Tall height. Lovely classical design with corinthian capitals, reeded columns, and stepped square bases. The top branches can be adjusted for use with 5 lights, 3 lights or removed completely so that the candlesticks can be used on their own. The total unfilled weight of the tops is 4396 grams, 141 troy ounces. The bases are filled. Height 36/68.5 cms. Spread 39 cms. Candlestick base 14,5×14.5 cms. London 1895/6. Maker William Hutton & Sons.
Biography – William Hutton established his business as manufacturing silversmiths and platers in Birmingham in 1800, and transferred to Sheffield in 1832. After the founder’s death the business continued under his son William Carr Hutton and his youngest son Herbert Hutton (senior, born 1843) as William Hutton & Son.
William Carr Hutton died in 1865 and c. 1870 Herbert Hutton Sr. was joined by his brothers James Edward Hutton (b. 1839) and Robert (b. 1840) and the name changed to William Hutton & Sons. Their first London showroom opened in 1863 and in the same year Rupert Favell & Co was acquired, a London manufacturing silversmiths, and the firm became William Hutton & Sons Ltd.
The firm acquired Creswick & Co in 1902, beginning to use their CROSS ARROWS mark.
The firm also used the trade mark ANGLE PLATE
The last Hutton family MD was Herbert Hutton Jr. The company closed in 1930 when it was absorbed by James Dixon & Sons Ltd.