A pretty pair of Victorian sterling silver candelabra with 3 branches. Elegant design with swirly ribbed design. The tops are removable and the candlesticks can be used on their own. Detachable sconces. Height 25.5 cm (candlesticks), 35 (with tops). Spread across the top 26 cm. Date 1892. One candelabrum is London 1892, maker Goldsmiths and Silversmiths.
The other candelabrum is Sheffield 1892, maker Hawksworth & Eyre. Both are fully matching.
The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Company was established in 1880 by William Gibson (d. 1913) and John Lawrence Langman (1846-1928). They acquired the London premises previously used by John Joseph Mechi. In 1893 the firm took over The Goldsmiths’ Alliance Ltd (late A.B. Savory & Sons) and in 1898 became the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd trading as jewellers, dealers in diamonds and precious stones, silversmiths, electroplaters and watch/clock makers. In 1952 Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd was amalgamated with Garrard & Co Ltd. The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co had manufacturing workshops at Newcastle Place, Clerkenwell; Regent Works, Sheffield and Rue St George, Paris. They were also retailers of goods by the manufacturers (Martin Hall & Co Ltd, W&G Sissons, Wakely & Wheeler, William Comyns, Harrison Brothers & Howson, etc.)