An excellent quality antique wine jug with a crystal glass body decorated with etched grape and vine leaf design. The sterling silver mount has embossed vine leaves and applied face masks, the lid has a dog finial. Contains 1150 ml. Height 26.5 cm. Spread 15.5 cm. Birmingham 1867. Maker Hirons, Plant & Co.
Biography – The Birmingham partnership Hirons, Plant & Bourne was founded c.1860 changing its name to Hirons, Plante & Co in 1878 when Rowland Bourne left the partnership. Joseph Hirons retired in 1882 and Henry Hodson Plante continued the business alone under the name H.H Plante & Co, subsequently entering many other partnerships, and was still trading in 1915.