An attractive sterling silver centrepiece with detachable dish and three flower vase flutes. The silver is prettily pierced with scroll and latticework. Weight 1175 grams, 37.7 troy ounces. Height 25.5 cm. Bowl diameter 15 cm. Flute length 15.3 cm. Sheffield 1900.
Maker William Hutton & Sons.
William Hutton established his business as manufacturing silversmiths and platers in Birmingham in 1800, and transferred to Sheffield in 1832. After the founder’s death the business continued under his son William Carr Hutton and his youngest son Herbert Hutton (senior, born 1843) as William Hutton & Son. William Carr Hutton died in 1865 and c. 1870 Herbert Hutton Sr. was joined by his brothers James Edward Hutton (b. 1839) and Robert (b. 1840) and the name changed to William Hutton & Sons. Their first London showroom opened in 1863 and in the same year Rupert Favell & Co was acquired, a London manufacturing silversmiths, and the firm became William Hutton & Sons Ltd. The firm acquired Creswick & Co in 1902, beginning to use their CROSS ARROWS mark. The firm also used the trade mark ANGLE PLATE The last Hutton family MD was Herbert Hutton Jr. The company closed in 1930 when it was absorbed by James Dixon & Sons Ltd.