Antique Silver Flask

GBP 2,750.00

Contact Dealer To Purchase

Object Description

A superb antique sterling silver flask. Graceful plain form and super large size. Inscribed to the front with a hand engraved lion crest and the name “John Bayley Esq” and to the reverse “Nymph”, the name of Bayley’s* luxury sailing ship. The cap unscrews and the top band is gold plated. Contains a hefty 950 ml. Weight 500 grams, 16 troy ounces. Height 21.5cm. Base 7.2 x 5.4cm. London 1828. Maker Mary Ann & Charles Reilly.

Biography – John Reily, no record of apprenticeship or freedom, first mark entered as smallworker 1799 in partnership with Mary Hyde, his future wife. Second mark, alone, 1801. 3rd mark 1802. 4th mark, 2 sizes, 1805. 5th mark 1826. Died 1816.

Charles Reily, son of John Reily, no record of apprenticeship or freedom, first mark entered as smallworker, in partnership with his mother Mary Reily, 1826. 2nd mark entered as plateworker, in partnership with George Storer, 1829. 3rd mark, 2 sizes, 1840. Their later marks are found mainly on fine quality snuff boxes and other small pieces.

Object Literature

Sir John Bayley (b.1763), Knight and Baronet of the Exchequer. Bayley’s luxurious life style included a town house in Pall Mall, London, the country residence of Updown House in the Parish of Ham and the sailing boat “Nymph”, a vessel which could accommodate both his family and guests, together with servants, silver and fine china. The flask offered for sale is likely to be the ship’s flask from the Captain’s table.

A painting was sold in Christies South Kensington on 24.11.10 entitled “Sir John Bayley’s cutter yacht Nymph flying the ensign of the Royal Yacht Squadron in Scottish waters” signed and dated ‘J.C. Schetky 1836’. John Christian Schetky (Edinburgh 1778-1874). Photograph attached.

The Royal Yacht Squadron. Bayley was a member of the prestigeous and influential British yachting club, founded as the Yacht Club at Cowes by a group of men interested in salt-water yachting. From 1820 it was known as the Royal Yacht Club and in July 1833 was renamed The Royal Yacht Squadron at the request of William IV. The RYS entered into its historic headquarters, the Castle at Cowes in 1858.

Object Condition

This useful flask is in very good condition with no damage or restoration. The engravings are still sharp. With a full set of clear English silver marks to the body, cap unmarked.

Please note that this item is not new and will show moderate signs of wear commensurate with age. Reflections in the photograph may detract from the true representation of this item.

Object Details

Dealer Opening Times

By appointment only.

Dealer Contact

+44 (0)207 288 1939
+44 (0)7904 297419

Dealer Location

Vault 31-32
The London Silver Vaults
53-64 Chancery Lane
London WC2A 1QS

View Map