A very pretty antique sterling silver wine cup with an embossed decoration of flowers and leaves, and a blank cartouche to the front. Pale gilt interior.
Contains 350 ml.
Weight 227 grams, 7.2 troy ounces.
Height 17 cm. Diameter of top 9.2 cm.
Maker George Unite.
George Unite and James Hilliard founded the business in 1825 in Birmingham. The partnership was closed before 1845 and the business was continued by George Unite in Birmingham and London until circa 1865. The firm advertised as manufacturer of Gold and Silver brooches, bracelets, fish carvers, dessert knives and forks, card cases, cake knives, knife fork and spoon, fruit knives, butter knives, pickle forks, caddy shells, sugar scoops and sifters, cups, cigar cases, pens, etc….. The firm became George Unite & Sons in circa 1865 continuing until the death of George Richard Unite in 1897. William Henry Lyde (electroplate manufacturer) took over the business and in 1928 the business became a limited company George Unite Sons & Lyde Ltd