A set of antique sterling silver knives in the popular Kings pattern with stainless steel blades marked for Garrard. 6 dinner knives, length 26.5cm. The silver handles are solid quality.
Maker Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Company.
GOLDSMITHS AND SILVERSMITHS COMPANY
The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Company was established in 1880 by William Gibson (d. 1913) and John Lawrence Langman (1846-1928). They acquired the London premises previously used by John Joseph Mechi. In 1893 the firm took over The Goldsmiths’ Alliance Ltd (late A.B. Savory & Sons) and in 1898 became the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd trading as jewellers, dealers in diamonds and precious stones, silversmiths, electroplaters and watch/clock makers. In 1952 Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd was amalgamated with Garrard & Co Ltd. The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co had manufacturing workshops at Newcastle Place, Clerkenwell; Regent Works, Sheffield and Rue St George, Paris. They were also retailers of goods by the manufacturers (Martin Hall & Co Ltd, W&G Sissons, Wakely & Wheeler, William Comyns, Harrison Brothers & Howson, etc.)