This is a stunning lot. A fine graduated set of William IV sterling silver meat dishes. Oval form with gadrooned borders. Previously owned by the Maitland* family, all pieces bearing the Maitland arms. Each dish has a hand engraved coat of arms on opposite edges. The dishes are mounted with a graduated set of matching Old Sheffield plated meat dish covers of plain oval outline with fluted borders and detachable handle. Each dome is hand engraved with a crest on one side and a coat of arms on the other. The complete set is contained in a fitted, iron-bound oak trunk. Excellent weight and gauge of silver. Weight of the four silver meat dishes 9858 grams, 317 troy ounces approx. The platters measure large – 61 x 44 cm, medium – 50 x 39 cm and 2 small platters 42 x 32.5 cm. Sterling silver platters made by John Bridge, London 1831. Old Sheffield plate domes marked for Matthew Boulton.
*The Arms of Maitland. Minor variations on the dishes to those on the covers.
Biography – John Bridge, London goldsmith, apprenticed 1769 to William Rogers of Bath. Arrived in London aged 22 and became shopman at Pickett and Rundell. Date of partnership with Philip Rundell circa 1788 and the two were appointed Goldsmiths and Jewellers to the King circa 1797. In order to keep up with their prestigious orders this successful partnership started a collaboration with Paul Storr and Benjamin Smith and Storr joined the partnership from 1807-1819. John Bridge’s first mark alone was registered as plateworker (4 sizes) in 1823 after the retirement of Philip Rundell. 2nd mark (3 sizes) 1823. Bridge’s nephew John Gawler Bridge became partner in 1827 having joined the firm in 1804, free by redemption 1816, Livery 1818, Court 1831, Prime warden 1839. In 1830 Bridge formed a new firm with his nephew and Thomas Bigge which lasted until 1834. In 1842 the firm was liquidated.
Signed – *The Arms of Maitland. Minor variations on the dishes to those on the covers.