A large and important George II style silver shell. Fantastic quality and weight. With gadroon rim, pretty pierced sides, on three large dolphin feet and having a tall caryatid handle terminating in twin dolphin tails. Crest engraved to the top of the handle. Original gilt finish with slight wear. Weight 1283 grams, 41 troy ounces. Height 21 cm. Top of shell 29 x 26 cm. Sterling silver. London 1891. Maker William Gibson, Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Company.This spectacular silver dish is in very good condition with no damage. Stamped with a full set of English silver hallmarks. Gilt finish slightly worn.
GOLDSMITHS AND SILVERSMITHS COMPANY
The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Company was established in 1880 by William Gibson (d. 1913) and John Lawrence Langman (1846-1928). They acquired the London premises previously used by John Joseph Mechi. In 1893 the firm took over The Goldsmiths’ Alliance Ltd (late A.B. Savory & Sons) and in 1898 became the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd trading as jewellers, dealers in diamonds and precious stones, silversmiths, electroplaters and watch/clock makers. In 1952 Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd was amalgamated with Garrard & Co Ltd. The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co had manufacturing workshops at Newcastle Place, Clerkenwell; Regent Works, Sheffield and Rue St George, Paris. They were also retailers of goods by the manufacturers (Martin Hall & Co Ltd, W&G Sissons, Wakely & Wheeler, William Comyns, Harrison Brothers & Howson, etc.)