A dainty antique sterling silver teapot on pedestal foot. Small size. Attractive fluted design with a wide embossed frieze of scroll decoration. Contains 400 ml. Weight 282 grams, 9 troy ounces. Height 13.5 cms. Spread 18.5 cms. Sheffield 1882. Maker William Hutton & Son.
Biography – William Hutton established his business in Birmingham in 1800, and transferred to Sheffield in 1832. After the founder’s death the business continued in the same style under his son William Carr Hutton as William Hutton & Son. Their first London showroom opened in 1863 and in the same year Rupert Favell & Co was acquired, a London manufacturing silversmiths, and the firm became William Hutton & Sons Ltd. The company closed in 1930 when it was absorbed by James Dixon & Sons Ltd. The firm used the trade mark CROSS ARROWS (6 or 8 arrows) after the acquisition of Creswick & Co (c. 1900). The firm used the trade mark ANGLE PLATE