A fine antique sterling silver wine ewer of tall shapely vase form having a curved silver handle with acanthus leaf terminal. Plain style and elegant classical shape. Excellent quality and good gauge silver as you’d expect from this prestigious firm of silversmiths, previously known as Storr & Mortimer, the famous Paul Storr partnership. Gilt interior. Contains 1350 ml. Weight 810 grams, 25.1 troy ounces. Height 29.5 cms. Spread 12 cms. London 1874. Maker Hunt & Roskell (late Storr & Mortimer).
Biography – Hunt & Roskell, a firm of manufacturing and retail jewellers and silversmiths, was founded by Paul Storr in 1819, trading as Storr & Co. (1819-22), Storr & Mortimer (1822-38), Mortimer & Hunt (1838-43) and then Hunt & Roskell (1843-97). Hunt & Roskell, silversmiths and jewellers to Queen Victoria, had retail premises at 156 New Bond Street and a manufactory at 26 Harrison Street, near Clerkenwell. John Samuel Hunt, who had assisted Storr from the start, continued as a partner until his death in 1865, when he was succeeded by his son, John Hunt (d.1879). Robert Roskell, formerly a watchmaker and merchant of Liverpool, joined in 1844 and remained in the firm until his death in 1888. In 1889 the firm was taken over by J.W. Benson and continued in business as Hunt & Roskell Ltd until c.1965.