This is a wonderful antique sterling silver teapot with hallmarks for London 1836 and the makers mark of one of the most celebrated silversmiths of all time, Paul Storr, typical of his best work, and with the retailers mark for Storr & Mortimer, 13 New Bond Street, London, Goldsmiths and Jewellers to Her Majesty.
It is beautifully made in silver and is a fine example of his work.
There is no mistaking its unique quality and design, which is sure to make it a treasured piece by any discerning collector.
In excellent condition with clear hallmarks and no dings, dents or signs of repair. Please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 13.5 x Width 28 x Depth 17
Weight 27 troy oz
Dimensions in inches:
Height 5.3 x Width 11.0 x Depth 6.7
Weight 0.84 kg
Paul Storr (Westminster 1771 – Tooting 1844) born in London England in 1771, was to become one of the most talented silversmiths and goldsmiths of the nineteenth century. Today his legacy of exceptionally well crafted silver, found worldwide in museums and private collections, leaves one in awe when compared to that of his contemporaries. After having served a seven year apprenticeship from the age of 14, he began his career in 1792 when he went into a brief partnership with William Frisbee. This did not last and in 1793 a new mark, (his initials ‘P S’) was entered. By the beginning of the nineteenth century he had established himself as one of London’s top silversmiths producing, amongst others, commissions for Royalty.
In 1801 he married Elizabeth Susanna Beyer with whom he was to have ten children. In 1807 Paul Storr entered into a working relationship with Philip Rundell and by 1811 was a partner, and managing the workshops for Rundell, Bridge & Rundell.
During this period he kept his own marks and separate workshop. However it was through Rundell, Bridge & Rundell who were appointed Goldsmith in Ordinary to George III in 1804 that his reputation as a master silversmith grew. His talents lay in being able to transform ideas and designs from Rundell, Bridge & Rundell’s designers, William Theed II, the chief modeller and head of the design department, and later John Flaxman II who succeeded him in 1817. During this period Rundell, Bridge & Rundell’s reputation grew due to the patronage of the Prince Regent (later George IV).
Storr & Mortimer
Goldsmiths and Jewellers to Her Majesty’ (1822-1839) Having left RUNDELL, BRIDGE & RUNDELL in 1819 and moved to a factory in Harrison Street, Grays Inn Lane (now Road), Paul Storr soon went into partnership with John Mortimer, the assistant of a retiring retail goldsmith and jeweller, WILLIAM GRAY, of 13 New Bond Street. The firm was renamed STORR & MORTIMER. Under their agreement, Storr concentrated on the manufacture of goods for Mortimer to sell in the shop at 13 New Bond Street. Storr and Mortimer now manufacturing and retail goldsmiths, jewellers and silversmiths with an influential clientele, moved to 156, New Bond Street, in 1838. Owing to changing economic conditions and Mortimers supposed ineptitude as a businessman, the shop which he managed is said to have been vastly overstocked. Then, circa 1826, Storr’s nephew by marriage, John Samuel Hunt, joined the partnership. It seems that he had been working as a chaser in Storr’s workshop for many years. Storr retired to Tooting in 1839 and died in 1844. The firm continued as MORTIMER & HUNT.
Our reference: 08670