A single boxwood butter hand, having a traditional reeded surface, often found in pairs. The cylindrical handle is stamped Parnall and Sons, Bristol and the whole has an excellent colour and patination. Parnall and Sons were a well regarded firm established in 1820 by William Parnall in Narrow Wine Street. Initially making weights and measures, before expanding into culinary and household items and eventually making shop fronts and iron architecture by the 1890’s. There was hardly a town in England where they were not known and during the war years they manufactured aeroplanes and seaplanes, also interior fittings for liners such as the QE2 and important buildings such as Buckingham Palace and The Houses of Parliament. The factory suffered and couple of unfortunate fires and went into receivership in May 1991 after trading in Bristol for over 170 years.