Antique Victorian Cased Sterling Silver Sugar Bowl & Sifter 1868 19th C

GBP 1,050.00

Contact Dealer To Purchase

Object Description

This is a delightful cased Victorian sterling silver sugar bowl and matching sugar sifter bearing hallmarks for Sheffield 1868 and the makers mark of the renowned silversmith Martin Hall & Co.

The sugar bowl of oval helmet form with repousse chased bird, foliate and scroll decoration and raised on a decorative lobed spreading foot, the taper handled sifter with cast vine decoration. Presented in it’s original leathered casket with blue silk and velvet interior.

There is no mistaking its unique quality and design, which is certain to add a special something to your silver collection.

In trally excellent condition with clear hallmarks and no dings, dents or signs of repair. The casket showing signs of wear commensurate with age and use.Please see photos for confirmation.

Dimensions in cm:
Height 13 x Width 16 x Depth 12

Dimensions in inches:
Height 5.1 x Width 6.3 x Depth 4.7

The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co.

The firm was established in 1880 by William Gibson (d. 1913) and John Lawrence Langman (1846-1928), and was active at 112 Regent Street, London acquiring the premises previously used by John Joseph Mechi.

In 1893 the firm absorbed The Goldsmiths’ Alliance Ltd (late A.B. Savory & Sons) and in 1898 became the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd being active as jewellers, dealers in diamonds and precious stones, silversmiths, electroplaters and watch and clock makers.

The firm participated to a number of national and international exhibitions, as Indian and Colonial Exhibition (London, 1886), Paris (1889), Chicago (1893), California (1894), Paris (1900) and Franco-British Exhibition (London, 1908).
The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co was active with manufactories at Newcastle Place, Clerkenwell; Regent Works, Sheffield and Rue St George, Paris and as retailer of items supplied by various British gold and silver manufacturers (Martin Hall & Co Ltd, W&G Sissons, Wakely & Wheeler, William Comyns, Harrison Brothers & Howson, etc.)

In 1952 The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd was amalgamated with Garrard & Co Ltd.

Our reference: 09450

Object Details

Dealer Opening Times

We are open weekly as follows:

9:00 - 17:00
9:00 - 17:00
9:00 - 17:00
9:00 - 17:00
9:00 - 17:00

Dealer Contact

+44 (0)20 8809 9605

Dealer Location

Manor Warehouse
318 Green Lanes
N4 1BX

Please note that we are also open on alternate Saturdays. Please call to confirm.

View Map