This is a beautiful antique Victorian mother of pearl parquetry casket containing three glass scent bottles dating from around 1880.
The rectangular casket features a vaulted cover with two silver hinges and shaped lock-plate. The exterior is decorated with plaques of mother-of-pearl the top and sides with diamond panels enclosed by rectangular and polygon borders. The interior is lined with its original green velvet and contains three star cut glass scent bottles with engraved silver plated tops.
Add a sense of sublime style to your dressing table with this lovely casket.
In excellent condition, please see photos for confirmation of condition.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 9 x Width 14 x Depth 7
Dimensions in inches:
Height 3.5 x Width 5.5 x Depth 2.8
Mother of pearl, is an organic-inorganic composite material produced by some molluscs as an inner shell layer; it is also what makes up the outer coating of pearls. It is strong, resilient, and iridescent. The outer layer of pearls and the inside layer of pearl oyster and freshwater pearl mussel shells are made of nacre.
Both black and white nacre are and were used for design purposes. They were used as decorative motif used in cabinet making or silversmithing. The natural nacre may be artificially tinted to almost any colour. Nacre tesserae may be cut into shapes and laminated to a ceramic tile or marble base. The tesserae are hand-placed and closely sandwiched together, creating an irregular mosaic or pattern (such as a weave). The laminated material is typically about 2 mm thick. The tesserae are then lacquered and polished creating a durable and glossy surface.
Our reference: 08956