This is a lovely antique Victorian silver plate and cut glass biscuit barrel, Circa 1870 in date.
This delightful piece features a cut glass biscuit barrl in a silver plated swing-handled frame with turned columns and beaded decoration, a separate domed cover with engraved decoration and a pinecone finial, and raised on three shaped feet.
It bears the makers mark of the renowned silversmioth and retailer
” Goldsmiths and Silversmiths Company”.
It could be used for biscuits or a variety of sweets.
The quality and craftsmanship throughout the piece are truly second to none.
In excellent condition, please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 20 x Width 17 x Depth 17
Dimensions in inches:
Height 7.9 x Width 6.7 x Depth 6.7
The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Company.
The firm was established in 1880 by William Gibson and John Lawrence Langman.
The firm was active at 112 Regent Street, London acquiring the premises previously used by John Joseph Mechi.
In 1893 the firm absorbed The Goldsmiths’ Alliance Ltd and in 1898 became the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd being active as jewellers, dealers in diamonds and precious stones, silversmiths,electroplaters and watch and clock makers.
In 1952 Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co Ltd was amalgamated with Garrard & Co Ltd.
The firm participated to a number of national and international exhibitions, as Indian and Colonial Exhibition (London, 1886), Paris (1889), Chicago (1893), California (1894), Paris (1900) and Franco-British Exhibition (London, 1908).
The Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Co was active with manufactories at Newcastle Place, Clerkenwell; Regent Works, Sheffield and Rue St George, Paris and as retailer of items supplied by various British gold and silver manufacturers (Martin Hall & Co Ltd, W&G Sissons, Wakely & Wheeler, William Comyns, Harrison Brothers & Howson, etc.)
Our reference: 08734