This is a magnificent and highly attractive English Victorian silver-plated claret jug, bearing the makers’ mark of the renowned silversmiths, Walker and Hall, Sheffield, circa 1880 in date.
This resplendent claret jug has an extremely beautiful rounded shape, stands on an elegant circular spreading foot and features an elegant waisted neck and the original hinged lid.
It has an exceptionally embossed floral and foliate decoration throughout the body and a distinctive geometrical handle with equally striking floral and foliate embossed motifs throughout.
The body of the claret jug has three highly distinctive vacant cartouches, one big to the front parallel to the spout and two smaller cartouches to the sides, which could be perfect for inscribing your initials, company’s logos or family crests.
The underside of the claret jug has the makers’ marks ‘WH’ for Walker & Hall, the makers’ stamp ‘WALKER & HA, the registration number 3057 and the patent number 5245.
The unique quality and design of this striking claret jug will make it a treasured piece for any discerning collector.
In excellent condition with clear makers marks and no dings, dents or signs of repair. Please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 29 x Width 18 x Depth 14
Dimensions in inches:
Height 11.4 x Width 7.1 x Depth 5.5
Walker & Hall
the business was established in Sheffield in 1845 by George Walker who become an assistant of Dr John Wright. Dr John Wright had conducted important experiments on electroplating, Walker secured the royalty of electroplating for Sheffield.
The business was joined by Henry Hall and became in 1853 Walker & Hall. The factory was at Howard Street, Sheffield, while showrooms were opened in 45 Holborn Viaduct, London. Branches were opened in Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Cardiff, Belfast, Hull, Bristol, Melbourne and Adelaide (Australia), Cape Town (South Africa).
Walker & Hall was converted into a limited liability company in 1920 under the style Walker & Hall Ltd and combined in 1963 under the British Silverware Ltd with Mappin & Webb and Elkington & Co. Walker and Hall Sheffield were primarily Sheffield Makers, but items with Birmingham, London and Chester Assay Marks can also be found.
Our reference: 09929