This is an elegant antique Victorian silver plated Corinthian column table oil lamp base converted to electricity, circa 1890 in date.
The lamp features its original glass mounted facetted cut clear glass oil reservoir and fittings, a capital decorated with acanthus leaves and scrolls which flair outwards on a fluted tapering shaft and sits on a stepped plinth base decorated with further columns and beading.
In working condition having been rewired.
In excellent condition having been beautifully cleaned and rewired in our workshops, please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 67 x Width 18 x Depth 18
Dimensions in inches:
Height 26.4 x Width 7.1 x Depth 7.1
The Corinthian order is the last developed of the three principal classical orders of ancient Greek and Roman architecture. The other two are the Doric order which was the earliest, followed by the Ionic order. When classical architecture was revived during the Renaissance, two more orders were added to the canon, the Tuscan order and the Composite order. The Corinthian, with its offshoot the Composite, is the most ornate of the orders. This architectural style is characterized by slender fluted columns and elaborate capitals decorated with acanthus leaves and scrolls. There are many variations.
The name Corinthian is derived from the ancient Greek city of Corinth, although the style had its own model in Roman practice, following precedents set by the Temple of Mars Ultor in the Forum of Augustus c. 2 AD. It was employed in southern Gaul at the Maison Carrée, Nîmes and at the comparable podium temple at Vienne. Other prime examples are the lower order of the Basilica Ulpia and the arch at Ancona both of the reign of Trajan, 98–117 AD the “column of Phocas and the “Temple of Bacchus” at Baalbek c. 150 AD.
Our reference: 09072