A beautiful Victorian silver plate mounted two bottle tantalus, the lock plate stamped by the renowned box makers Betjemann & Sons, and retailed by Weir & Sons of Grafton St, Dublin , Circa 1880 in date.
The polished walnut case has a fine grain with superb caramel hues and features cut glass decanters.
The decanters held securely beneath an articulated top plate with inset handle with a circular working lock which secures access to the decanters, the original key is present. The tantalus is standing on a tiered plinth base with attractive bracing in the Gothic revival taste.
This item is of really superb quality and will instantly enhance any room in your home.
In really excellent condition, the decanters with no chips or cracks, please see photos for confirmation.
Dimensions in cm:
Height 29 x Width 23 x Depth 13
Dimensions in inches:
Height 11 inches x Width 9 inches x Depth 5 inches
Weir & Sons
Thomas Weir laid down the foundations, development took place under the wing of five of his children who were actively involved in the business. Jack, James, Willie and George ran different aspects of the business across multiple locations. In 1916, the name of Weir & Sons was registered and in 1927, eleven years later, it became a limited company.
The Weirs brothers showed great dedication to their work and, over a 50 year period, they built up the company to a peak of excellence. The second generation of Weirs to live in Dublin produced a dynasty to continue the business for many years. Maigread Weir, daughter of Willie Weir, married Arthur Andrews in 1943 and their son, David Andrews, great grandson of Thomas Weir is head of the present-day business.
George Betjemann & Sons
In 1812 and at the age of 14, George Betjemann started apprenticing as a cabinet maker with his uncle, Gilbert Slater at his premises on Carthusian Street, London. In 1834, George then joined his father-in-law, William Merrick’s cabinet making business on Red Lion Street, Clerkenwell, London. George brought his sons, George William Betjemann (his eldest) and John Betjemann (grandfather of poet, Sir John Betjeman), to apprentice with him from 1848. He began his own business at 6 Upper Ashby Street, Clerkenwell, London, and with his two sons having completed their apprenticeships in 1855, expanded to 7 Upper Ashby Street shortly after.
In 1859, George moved into 36 Pentonville Road, London (their new family home and business residence) where he continued his business, now called George Betjemann & Sons, alongside his two sons. George William never married but instead was ‘married’ to his work, being a true artist and perfectionist. Their work was on display at the International Exhibition of 1862, and the International Exposition of 1867 in Paris.
By 1871, they had expanded their residence to incorporate 38 Pentonville Road and were employing 119 people. Records show that by 1875 a further incorporation of 40 Pentonville Road was undertaken. George died in 1886 at the age of 88 and George William and John ran George Betjemann & Sons in partnership until John’s death in 1893. George William then established a business partnership with John’s sons, John George Betjemann and Ernest Edward Betjemann. Around 1896, John George and Ernest Edward established an offshoot company called Betjemann Brothers, based at 2 Newcastle Place, Clerkenwell, London. This company ran alongside George Betjemann & Sons until they were merged in 1903, following the death of George William. In 1909, they became a limited company, known as George Betjemann & Sons Ltd.
With Ernest’s son John (the future poet Sir John Betjeman) having no interest in carrying on the family business, George Betjemann & Sons Ltd finally wound up in 1939.
Our reference: A2950