A large pair of geometric faceted bottles with sterling silver collars. Excellent heavy quality. Each contains 950 ml. Height 31.2 cms (including stopper). London 1913. Maker John Grinsell & Sons.
Biography – John Grinsell (worked from 1864). Originally Grinsell & Bourne, established 1864 and dissolved 1871, when John Grinsell formed a new business with his sons (Thomas Bywater Grinsell, James Erazmus Grinsell, Lorenzo Grinsell and Joseph Charles Grinsell). The firm was active at Victoria Works, 57 Tower Street, St. George’s, Birmingham. Show rooms were opened at 13 Charterhouse Street, Holborn Circus, London and 73 West Nile Street, Glasgow. In circa 1905 the firm was converted to John Grinsell & Sons Ltd which was later purchased by Barker Ellis & Co Ltd. The trade mark “Cupid standing on a scroll” was registered in 1879. This firm was known for specialising in silver mounted glass or stoneware items.